Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Relationship Intentions

February is here and Valentines Day is around the corner. On this auspicious day many of us give our sweethearts a gift, do something special or go out for dinner. We celebrate the day treating our loved ones with special care. What about the rest of the year? How do you treat your loved one?

What could happen in your relationship if you actually chose how you would like to treat your loved one? Set an intention for your relationship and then practice being that way for the rest of the year. Magic is possible.

We often think that we are the way we are and that we can’t change the way we are being. This is absolutely false. For several years now I have been setting intentions for how I want to feel and what I wish to experience and seeing desired results. And, I believe that if we can choose to change who we are being, it only makes sense that we actively choose who we would like to be in relationship too.

I have also observed my colleage Jacque actively setting intentions, about how she shows up in this world, and for who she would like to be. She is now substantially different than who she was when I met her.  Two years ago when Jacque got divorced she set the intention to be calm and bring her relationship to a close from a place of grace and ease. I watched her do this successfully. Now she’s exploring a new relationship and once again has the opportunity to set an intention for this relationship experience.  When setting an intention for relationship we actively choose our ideal experience.

Jacque talks about Relationship Intentions

The questions to ask yourself are: How would I like to be? What is the experience I would like to have? How would I like to feel?

For example I would like to be:
• Treating others with love
• Flexible, supportive
• Curious, coming from a place of wonder

The experience I would like to have is:
• Fun
• Learning & growth
• Sacred Connection

I would like to feel:
• Deeply loved
• Enjoyment
• Intimacy

So now you are probably thinking: yes I can want all of these things, but what happens if my partner doesn’t want what I want or doesn’t behave in a way that supports me to feel this way? This is a very good question, because we cannot control other people’s behaviours, the only influence we have is by changing our own behaviour. We can, however create our own reality. This means we need to treat ourselves, and our partners the way we want to be treated and then invite them to join us. Then we start having the experience of being treated this way.

To experience learning we need to be curious and self-reflective. To feel love we need to treat others with love. When we start being who we want to be we will start having the feelings that we want to have. As you start treating your partner from this place consistently, don’t be surprised if their behaviour towards you starts to change and you start receiving more of what it is that you want.

So, what is missing in your relationship? Who are you willing to become to get it?

Wishing you a blissful relationship.

Lynne Brisdon
Professional Certified Coach
http://www.livinginvision.com/

Quote: You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with. ~Wayne W. Dyer

No comments:

Post a Comment