Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Have Emotional Hot Buttons Stopped You from Taking Vacation?

This article appeared in the August Living In Vision Newsletter. I'm actually taking my vacation in October though - timing it to visit a planetary power spot on 10-10-10.

***

In August almost everything shuts down for most of us to take a vacation. How many of you are feeling guilty and anxious about taking time away from your work or business?

In his book “The Diamond Cutter” Geshe Michael Roche, states we should keep our minds and bodies in good health to enjoy the money we make. Subtitled, ‘The Bhudda on Managing Your Business and Your Life’ Roche advocates taking silent time each day to clear the mind of mental afflictions and to step away from the work cycle each year for self reflection and rejuvenation.

When I had a full-time job, much as I looked forward to the ‘escape’ each vacation offered, I worried beforehand knowing there would be a pile of work to come back to and worked doubly hard before I left to minimize this. Now that I’m self employed I worry about missed opportunities, as well as work piling up in my absence.

What happens if we avoid taking a vacation due to the nagging voices of doubt and concern? What happens if we pretend we are taking a vacation and take our laptop or Blackberry (I-phone) along?

“Skipping vacations could actually be dangerous to your health," according to Brooks Gump, Ph.D., co-author of a State University of New York at Oswego study.

The study found that men who take vacations every year reduce their overall risk of death by about 20 percent, and their risk of death from heart disease by as much as 30 percent. A similar study discovered that women who vacation at least twice a year have 50% less chance of developing coronary heart disease or any other serious heart problems. Those who took no vacations had the highest death rate overall.

"Vacations have a protective effect because they help you reduce your load of stress, or at least allow you to take a break from the everyday stressors of the workplace,"*

Even with evidence to support taking vacations many tend to avoid them or work while on vacation. The rationalization being that if they keep working they won’t be so overwhelmed later or miss business opportunities. Hoping to rejuvenate by taking a few days here and there, doesn’t do the trick. Those who attempt this actually end up catching up on errands; they are not taking the necessary 5 – 7 days to unwind. Two full weeks is recommended for optimal health benefits.

If you have been avoiding making plans for this year’s vacation we invite you to look beyond the mental chatter that says, ‘I don’t have time, don’t have enough money, it will be too expensive, I’ll be passed over for promotions, my business will collapse, there is no one to cover for me; generally – something bad will happen if I go away’. These thoughts are a product of your emotional hot buttons and they are getting in the way of your health and well being.

And if that’s not enough to change your mind consider this. A recent study showed that for every dollar of vacation benefits provided to employees, companies receive a $3 return on the benefit investment in the form of improved employee productivity and morale.*

So go ahead and plan a guilt free vacation you deserve it. Leave your electronic devices at home or turn them off except for emergency situations like booking tickets to a fun event in some far away place. If the idea of this causes a knot in your stomach, a pain in your chest or hands begin to sweat, give me a call to remove your hot buttons so you can take some time away to pause, rejuvenate, reflect, and dream up whatever is next for you. That is assuming you call when I am at work, because I can't hear my phone when I am riding my motorcycle.

*Workopolis


"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
Maria Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment